Wednesday, February 20, 2008

HOW TO MAKE BIGGER HATS AND A BETTER SHOW


I’ve been getting a lot of responses about how I hat or what Eric taught me to increase my hats.

I am not going to tell you my exact lines or my show’s content, but I am gonna tell you the formula. so that you can build a show that is more original.

Hatting is about selling a product.....You.

In sales there are two sayings: " Always be closing."

and

"Build value and get a receipt."

I believe that you should always be closing, in other words, through out your show you should mention money. But in levels of boldness.

More and more direct as the show progresses. And this should be done through humor to lighten it up and not seem so rude.

Before you start, you can mention that this IS your "REAL JOB."

Then after your first routine, you can say something about how you've been making money like this for a long time.

Your second routine, you get a little more bold and direct like, "at the end of my show I’m gonna hold out my magic hat and ask for money, I know it's a magic hat, cuz every time I do this, abracadabra every body disappears.....Well don't do that! This is how I make my living!"

Proceed with your next routine and hat em again this time, maybe talking about how much you want,

"A buck or 2 I’ll thank you personally, a 5 or a 10 I’ll smile real big, a 20 I’ll jump up and down, a 100......some body gives me a 100 I’m goin home with them!"

Finish up your show and just before you do the finale trick, hat em hard. This is a routine unto it self. You will need to write and memorize this routine it should be as entertaining and as informative as any of your magic routines. You will need to rehearse this!

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO HATTING IS -

BUILDING VALUE IN THE MINDS OF THE SPECTATORS AND GETTING A RECIEPT FROM THEM IN SOME WAY THAT THEY THINK YOU ARE WORTHY.

If your show, your magic, or your personality, sucks, so will your hats!

If you do not get a receipt from the people, they can act as though you are not worthy and not tip you,

But if you get a receipt you can REMIND THEM OF IT AT THE END OF THE SHOW WHEN YOUR EXPECTING MONEY.

For example; you can say, “Remember when I asked you if you were having a good time and we all cheered?”

Or

After you do the finale you can say, “you know I just realized some thing, we all had a good time, we've all been hangin out here laughin and goofin together, there's been twists and turns, but everything came out alright, so don't let me down now, and remember all your donations are tax free!”

This subtle “building value” idea is what Eric Evans taught me to increase my hats.

This single idea is what is scoffed at by many commercial workers with 45 minute shows, but it has allowed me to make incredibly large hats for very close to circle show size hats for only 10-15 minutes of work.

This is about taking the time to make sure you are showing a quality performance and getting the people to agree that is quality.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions.

In short, "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" will make sure you get paid even if your performance isn't that strong.

BUT

"BUILDING VALUE AND GETTING A RECIEPT", touching the people, getting them on your side and ADMITTING PUBLICLY what your doing is worthy......That will make your hats double and triple.

But the big point here is:

"This is the difference between a professional and a commercial busker.

The commercial busker is satisfied with a what he may believe to be a sure thing. He does not see the value in the shows proper entertainment impact.

With this formula your product will be a more marketable product for any venue you choose.

This is about BETTER MONEY, MONEY FOR QUALITY.